It is a well-known fact that motivated colleagues are happy colleagues, and happy colleagues make happy guests. It can be all too easy to become too involved in the day to day operation forgetting that colleagues need motivation to continually create memorable experiences for guests.
Take some time to have a think about what you can include in your colleague motivation plan and in the long run it will bring great benefits to your area of responsibility.
What can be included in a motivation plan?
- Monthly/Quarterly teambuilding activities – in house or off premises
- Communication meeting schedule and communication plan
- Recognition scheme – colleague of the month, contribution to social media, guest ambassador
- Incentive schemes – upselling, add on, commission based
- Training and development
- Succession planning
- Communication of department goals
- Celebrating success
- 1 minute feedback/coaching
- Monthly 1-2-1 and appraisal management
The list above are examples which are commonly used to enhance colleague motivation and it is certainly not exhaustive. Through experience, the introduction of a structured motivation plan brings many benefits to the guest experience and this should be on top of the list of planning for future success. Motivated colleagues really are happy colleagues, and happy colleagues will always make happy guests.